Monday, January 23, 2012

Thank You 8 Year Old Me

Sometime in my childhood I decided that skeleton keys were the coolest thing ever. I guess I was born a vintage-savvy hipster. Since I was many years ahead of the trend, I picked them up for pretty cheap from garage sales and flea markets. My parent's friends even gave me their spare skeleton keys belonging to some long lost piece of furniture or trunk. I had quite a collection. And now that vintage is becoming THE decorating trend, skeleton keys are getting more expensive. Gone are the days of spending 10 cents at the flea market to pick up and intricate little design. I recovered my little collection from the deep dark drawers of my childhood desk below essays from the 7th grade and pokemon cars (guilty). As a child I had planned to procure a type set drawer to display them. Sometime around high school and college this idea was lost completely as I traded my sponge painted walls for clean lines and crown molding. And now as a medical student trying to keep both hemispheres of my brain alive, my artistic juices have me crafting and designing and photographing. Now my salvaged keys reside in a type set drawer hanging on the wall in my bathroom. This one below is one of the more typical skeleton keys. They are probably the prettiest but also most common ones.

I found the handkerchief at the antique store. This place picks up estate sales and plops them in the store. That means that unlike a typical little antique store, stuff is EVERYWHERE but it is also less expensive. I had to open drawers in dressers to find the handkerchief below. It felt intrusive even though the owners are long gone. One drawer had neck ties and yarmulkes, another had pictures of the family, and many had handkerchiefs and scarves. Talk about a strange way to get to know someone you'll never meet.

So picture #21 The Key to the Past:

1 comment: