Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Perfectionism and Procrastination

My mother was a scrapbooking consultant for a while and she used to tell people that perfectionists were the worst procrastinators. In order to get things done we have to face the fact that they are not going to be perfect. A photographer I worked for told me she could no longer see the beauty in her photos, just what she could have done better. Getting the perfect shot has often been a hindrance to posting many of my photos and is the reason I prefer portraits. Everyone has taken a picture of the Eiffel Tower but a certain look in someone's eye can only be captured once. I love portraits and only see flaws in my landscapes. But, this project is also about getting over that and posting pictures that have sat in a folder for only me to see. Other posts have shown "beauty in the breakdown". I love pictures of rust and picture #3 continues this theme. This comes from a folder full of pictures from the island of Dominica (not to be confused with the Dominican Republic) that have been left untouched because of perfectionism. I see many flaws in them and I knew a lot less than the little I know now about photography. I'm unhappy with them but I am challenging myself to post a few. So here it is, number three...


I challenge other amateurs/enthusiasts etc to stop looking for flaws in your photos: others probably won't see them, so share your art!

No comments:

Post a Comment