Friday, January 27, 2012

Sunset

Anyone with an iPhone 4 needs to know, your camera phone 1. Probably takes photos better than that 2 year old point and shoot you use and 2. probably takes better landscapes than your average dSLR (read uber fancy big camera) user. I say it all the time and people don't really believe it. I've seen it with my own eyes though. Landscape often has difficult lighting. Top catch a subject against a pretty sunset, you either have to silhouette your subject or blow out your background. For example:

Silhouette shots are cool, but not if you want to see your subject
Now we can see the subject but not the sunset
 Alternatively you can use your flash as a fill to expose the subject and the sunset. Except sometimes it still looks like flash, which is bad. And the sunset doesn't even look great.


So then you pull out your iPhone, switch on the HDR and take an amazing photo that would put my fancy camera to shame. This is especially hard to deal with looking at an old album of photos you took back when you weren't too familiar with the camera and didn't even use RAW. There are a lot of tutorials out there on HDR which basically takes three different exposures of the scene and stacks them so everyone looks just the right brightness. You can achieve the same thing with a fancy shmancy camera with a little learning, which I have yet to do. But with the basic concept in mind I created the photo below. I actually made a duplicate, editing each photo separately. In one I made the boat look right and as a consequence the sky turned to basically nothing. In the other I darkened the sky to bring out the real colors from the scene and as a consequence the boat turned almost completely black. Than I took these two images and stacked them on top of each other with the good sky on top and used an eraser to take away the bottom half of the photo revealing a nice boat. The result is a composite of two different edits on one photo that looks much better than the original.


#26 Catamaran Composite

2 comments:

  1. Fyi I totally read these as if you are talking to me and my point-and-shoot.

    So, sorry to be supremely dumb, but...what's HDR? My iPhone4 and I wanna know. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If all your software is up to date, with your camera open touch Options and turn HDR to on. Use this for landscape shots mostly. Anything where there is a lot of light in the background and not a lot on the foreground and you want both to look good. HDR is not good when things are moving because it will cause a slight blur. In India, one of my friends took some amazing landscape shots with his iPhone4 and the HDR setting.

      Delete