Sunday, January 8, 2012

Cheating the System

Do I carry my camera everywhere? Trick question, my phone has a camera. Do I carry my dslr everywhere? No, and I inevitably end up kicking myself for not having it. Today for example. I had a great little procrastination lunch with good friends and then dropped by Starbucks for a deliciously overpriced grande 2 pump hot chocolate to make a day full of studying the heart a bit more bearable. On the way I passed a dilapidated farm I've been wanting to take a great photo of but I am waiting for everything to be just right. I have a couple ideas of lighting scenarios and clouds and at 3:30 today the heavens opened golden light onto that farm with dark clouds behind it and I kicked myself. So I did what I should not do and continued to not study. I drove to my apartment, picked up my camera gear and went back and wouldn't you know it, those clouds moved and the shot was ruined. One of these days I am going to get the shot, although it may be so idealized in my head at this point that it will never happen.

And so I have today decided to cheat the system. When in doubt, take a picture of something old, overexpose it, add a warming filter and voule!

  

And if you really want people on Pinterest to like it, add a basic word. There we go!

And there you have it. Day #8 Vintage Books. These were a gift from a quirky old uncle (via my grandmother). There are all old books and in Spanish! Ole! The top one is a translation dictionary and has written on the title page "16/3/907" Spanish date system so this book is at least as old as March 16, 1907. They have stamps inside from the old bookstores they were sold in. Pretty neat.

No comments:

Post a Comment