Friday, September 30, 2011

Beat The Clock

I mentioned in my last post about how days full of studying usually go for me.

Procrastinate, Sleep, Proactive Procrastination (like cleaning), Study for 20 minutes, Spend an hour on Pinterest. Realize I didn't actually learn anything today.

We're all guilty of it, whether we are trying to study for a neuro exam or complete a project. Talking to B last night, he told me about a study tactic his academic counselor suggested. Take a stop watch or timer- we prefer the stopwatch portion of the clock on an iPhone/iPod- and start it every time you sit down to study. Anytime you deviate, whether it be to check your email or gchat or fix lunch or make your bed or zone out into space as I often do, STOP the stopwatch. You only earn time when you are actively studying. You'll be surprised at the outcome. It is a great way to stay on task and realize how much time you are actually spending studying. Some people can sit down for 12 hours and only get 2 hours of work done! I tried it out and really like it. You'll be a little sad the first time you try it when it is 5:00 pm and your timer reads 2 hours. eek! Tomorrow I'll  be having a contest with B to see who can clock more hours (I just judged myself for how nerdy that sounds).
If you're looking at the time of day, it's incorrect. The only thing I did before 9:24 am was sleep.

1 comment:

  1. I like this! Though I just had to procrastinate in order to learn about it. I'm going to try it later this week.

    <3 you!

    ReplyDelete